Looking for a little decorating inspiration? We’ve assembled some of our most favorite new and classic holiday decorating tips below to give you some fresh ideas and new approaches to classic techniques.
“At Radko we are thinking about holiday décor all year round. We’ve seen the trends come and go but know that holidays are really about tradition and making lasting memories,” says Radko CEO Heather Shepardson. “At Christopher Radko we are always happy to share our experience, tips and personal ideas with any fellow holiday enthusiast. My personal advice is simple spend more time with your loved ones and make holiday decorating a tradition in your family.”
1. Wrap holiday lights all the way to the center of your tree to give it a warm glow that appears to come from within.
2. Display your treasured keepsake ornaments at eye level in the front of the tree so they can be easily viewed and appreciated. Remember to use specially designed stronger clips for your larger ornaments so that they hang beautifully and remain secure.
3. Use inexpensive luminescent and colorful ball ornaments as filler in the center of the tree to hide bald spots and to reflect the light. This will make your tree appear fuller and more radiant.
4. Keep the fresh, fragrant trimmings from your tree and use them on your mantel or staircase. Place small pieces of leftover greenery in small decorative bud vases tied with shiny red ribbons for quick and easy added décor anywhere in your home.
5. Wind festive ribbons around your wreaths, topiary bases and amaryllis plants. Then hang small ornaments from the center of the bow for sparkle and shine.
6. Turn your broken ornaments into a unique, colorful and beautiful wreath or centerpiece using thin twine.
7. Look for festive wreath kits that make decorating your live wreath quick, easy and beautiful. Be sure to store the pieces of the kit together for next year when the holidays are over.
8. Remember that wreaths are not just for outside. For lively indoor holiday décor with a wonderful aroma, hang wreaths on your children’s rooms’ doors, above fireplace mantels or on the inside of your front door.
Tabletop & Dining
9. Add a festive spray to the backs of chairs using greens, ribbons, wire-edged bows and small shiny ornaments.
10. Fill a shallow glass bowl with beautiful, sparkling ornaments and reflectors for a wonderful centerpiece.
11. For festive and easy napkin holders, tie thick ribbons around cloth napkins and attach a small red or green ornament.
12. Decorate your chandelier using greenery, floral and beaded garlands. Hang colorful or glass ornaments that reflect light from the arms of your fixture. Use zip ties, pipe cleaners or floral wire to secure decorative elements for easy removal after the holidays.
13. Fill clear vases with fresh cranberries, kumquats and/or seasonal nuts, add water and top it with a floating luminescent candle. Three of these together make a beautiful glowing tablescape.
14. Display different sized ball ornaments on a tiered cake stand with glittered pinecones and nuts gilded with metallic spray paint. Use many colors together or choose multiple variations of one color for a dramatic look.
Mantel & Home Decor
15. Set up a nostalgic display of old-fashioned paper houses, fake snow/mini trees, decorative greenery and vintage holiday cards around an old radio for a retro feel.
16. Fill a bowl with red and white Jordan almonds, candy canes and ribbon candy for a whimsical and sweet display.
17. Pull back your drapes using Christmas garlands instead of the normal tiebacks. This will add extra Christmas flair while letting additional light into the house.
18. Arrange festive tabletop trees in your foyer to bring a splash of Christmas spirit into the entryway of your home.
19. Save space and money by making your own holiday pillow covers with festive Christmas fabric. Slip them over your everyday throw pillows during the holidays and simply pack them away with your decorations after Christmas has passed.
20. In addition to your Christmas tree, decorate your other large house plants. Use the same types of festive ornaments, lights, and bows. It will carry the holiday feel throughout your entire home.